What is Avanafil 50 mg – 200 mg Avana® | Stendra generic used for?
Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg is used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men, which is the inability to achieve or maintain a hard erect penis suitable for sexual activity, due to insufficient blood flow into the penis. Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg relax the blood vessels in the penis increasing blood flow and causing an erection, which is the natural response to sexual stimulation. However, Avana tablets will only work if you are sexually aroused. Avana is not for use in women or children. It is not known if Avana is safe and effective in women or children under 18 years of age.
Avanafil acts by inhibiting a specific phosphodiesterase type 5 enzyme which is found in various body tissues, but primarily in the corpus cavernosum penis, as well as the retina. Other similar drugs are sildenafil, tadalafil, and vardenafil. The advantage of avanafil is that it has a very fast onset of action compared with other PDE5 inhibitors. It is absorbed quickly, reaching a maximum concentration in about 30–45 minutes. About two-thirds of the participants were able to engage in sexual activity within 15 minutes.
Brand names: Stendra, Spedra
How does Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg work?
Avana® tablets 50mg – 200mg contain avanafil, a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor, that is used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men. During sexual stimulation nitric oxide is released in the erectile tissue of the penis which activates the enzyme guanylate cyclase. This enzyme increases levels of a chemical called cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), which relaxes the blood vessels in the penis and allows blood to fill the spongy erectile tissues to cause an erection. Another enzyme called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) breaks down cGMP preventing blood flow into the penis, which causes loss of an erection. Avanafil in Avana tablets 50mg – 200mg acts on the erectile tissue of the penis to inhibit the action of PDE5 and increase blood flow to cause an erection. This action of avanafil in Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg resolves erectile dysfunction by allowing the natural process of sexual stimulation to activate the cGMP mechanism for achieving and maintaining an erection.
How long does Stendra / Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg last?
Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg should be taken within an hour of planned sex and in most cases, it helps you to get an erection in about 30 minutes that will last for around 4 hours, provided you are sexually aroused. Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg do not work if you are not aroused. Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg contains the active ingredient avanafil, a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor, used to treat erectile dysfunction (impotence) in men, by increasing blood flow into the penis.
Treating erectile dysfunction (impotence) with Stendra generic / Avana® Avanafil
Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg contain avanafil, a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor used to treat erectile dysfunction in men (impotence). When taken before planned sexual activity, avanafil in Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg inhibit the breakdown (by the enzyme PDE5) of a chemical called cGMP, produced in the erectile tissue of the penis during sexual arousal, and this action allows blood flow into the penis causing an erection.
What are the side effects of Stendra generic?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg include headache, dizziness or light-headedness, flushing, nasal congestion, dyspepsia (heartburn), nausea. Less common side effects include visual disturbance, increased tear formation causing watery eyes, changes in blood pressure (hypo and hypertension), sleepiness, dyspnoea (shortness of breath), pain (in the back joints, abdomen).
Stendra generic or Avana can cause your blood pressure to drop suddenly to an unsafe level if it is taken with certain other medicines. Do not take Stendra generic or Avana if you take any medicines called “nitrates.” Nitrates are used to treat chest pain (angina). A sudden drop in blood pressure can cause you to feel dizzy, faint, or have a heart attack or stroke. Do not take Stendra generic or Avana if you take medicines called guanylate cyclase stimulators which include: riociguat (Adempas®) a medicine that treats pulmonary arterial hypertension and chronic-thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Ask your healthcare provider if any of your medicines are nitrates or guanylate cyclase stimulators, such as riociguat.
Tell all your healthcare providers that you take Stendra generic or Avana. If you need emergency medical care for a heart problem, it will be important for your healthcare provider to know when you last took Stendra generic or Avana. Stop sexual activity and get medical help right away if you get symptoms such as chest pain, dizziness, or nausea during sex. Sexual activity can put an extra strain on your heart, especially if your heart is already weak from a heart attack or heart disease.
When should Avana® Avanafil tablets 50mg – 200mg not be used?
You should not use Avana tablets 200mg if you:
- are allergic to avanafil or any ingredients in Avana
- are taking any nitrate medication, such as nitroglycerin for angina, as it may lead to a severe drop in blood pressure
- have liver or kidney disease
- have a condition where sexual intercourse is inadvisable due to cardiovascular or heart problems or you have had a heart attack or stroke in the last 6 months
- have abnormally high or low blood pressure
- have an eye disease like non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy (NAION), which causes loss of vision, or if you have retinitis pigmentosa
- have conditions which may predispose to priapism (erections lasting 4 hours or more) such as anatomical deformation of the penis, sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma or leukemia
- drink large amounts of alcohol or grapefruit juice
- are taking medication that may interact with Avana or may increase your risk for side-effects, antibiotics like erythromycin and rifampicin, verapamil or diltiazem (for high blood pressure), ritonavir or saquinavir for HIV, antifungals like itraconazole or ketoconazole, non-selective alpha
- blockers like doxazosin for high blood pressure, tamsulosin and prazosin for enlarged prostate, nitrates such as glyceryl trinitrate for angina and other heart conditions.
What medications interact with Avana/Stendra?
Several medications interact with Avana tablets 200mg and should either not be taken while you are taking Avana or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that affect Avana: antibiotics like erythromycin and rifampicin, antifungals like itraconazole or ketoconazole, ritonavir or saquinavir for HIV, verapamil or diltiazem for high blood pressure,
- Drugs that are affected by Avana: non-selective alpha-blockers like doxazosin for high blood pressure, tamsulosin and prazosin for enlarged prostate, nitrates such as glyceryl trinitrate for angina and other heart conditions
How should Avana be taken?
You should take one Avana tablets 200mg with a glass of water approximately 15-30 minutes before sexual activity with or without food, although food may delay the effect. The effect of Avana tablets 50mg – 200mg can last as long as 4-5 hours after taking your tablet. You should take no more than one tablet a day and only if you plan to have sex. The dose of Avana that you take should be as recommended by your doctor and may be changed if the dose you are taking is too strong or too weak. You should only take one Avana tablet 50mg – 200mg when you plan to have sex; it is not intended as a regular medication. You should store your Avana tablets 200mg below 25°C in a cool dry place.
- Take Avana exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to take it.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how much Avana/Stendra to take and when to take it.
- Take Avana 100 mg or 200 mg as early as approximately 15 minutes before sexual activity.
- Take Avana 50 mg as early as approximately 30 minutes before sexual activity
- Do not take Avana more than 1 time a day.
- Your healthcare provider may change your dose if needed.
- You should take the lowest dose of Avana that works for you. You and your healthcare provider should decide about the lowest dose of Avana that works for you.
- Avana may be taken with or without food. Do not drink too much alcohol when taking Avana (for example, 3 glasses of wine, or 3 shots of whiskey). Drinking too much alcohol when taking Avana can increase your chances of getting a headache or getting dizzy, increasing your heart rate, or lowering your blood pressure.